Saturday, December 19, 2009

Do This: Shop local for Christmas gifts!

Because we all know that local is always better, I'd like to share my favorite places in Cincinnati for purchasing gifts:

(in no particular order)

Park + Vine- Cincinnati's "green" general store. Purchase locally handmade and recycled goods, eco-friendly baby/kids' stuff, pure and natural homegoods and toiletries, locally-themed shirts and bags. You'll find rainbarrels and clothes drying racks a-plenty and the word on the street is that the whole store is vegan.

Ten Thousand Villages- You'll find fairly-traded handmade goods from artisans around the world. Though it's not a locally-based organization, one of their retail shops is in O'Bryonville. My favorite item? The Christmas decorations and toys!

The Ohio Bookstore- With five floors of used books, you can find something for every book lover. (Check out the collections in the glass display cases on the street-level floor!) I've been meaning to have a book or two of my husband's re-bound in their bookbinding shop...

Shake-It Records- I don't go to Shake-It for the music; I go for the (seemingly) endless shelves of designer toys, magazines and 'zines, books, graphic novels & comics, and other assorted "won't find anywhere else in town" items. Wind-up sushi--need I say more?

The Blue Manatee- The kind of bookstore that makes me want to be a kid again...

Market Wines
at Findlay Market- Nothing goes better with a holiday meal catered by the Market than a fancy-pants bottle of wine. The folks at Market Wines will help find the perfect bottle for your dinner party or for a hostess gift. It's so nice to talk to people that know a thing or two about what they're selling!

Mica 12/V- Mica never fails to deliver the perfect gift for my mother--the woman who has everything: something shiny, well-made, distinct, and original. I usually have to keep it small (the place isn't cheap), but I can always find something great in my price range. (To top it off, they carry various pieces by local artists Visualingual, who probably deserved a spot of their own on my "favorites" list.)

Duck Creek Antique Mall
- I bought most of my bridesmaids' gifts at Duck Creek, and intend to make it there sometime in the next few days for last-minute Christmas shopping. My favorite finds? Mid-Century Modern furniture, vintage children's toys, and fancy ladies' pocket mirrors.

So, if you're like me and just realized that Christmas is *gasp* less than a week away and you've neglected to start your Christmas shopping, skip the corporate chains and keep it local.

Does your sister really need another sweater from the GAP?
Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment